Thursday, February 13, 2014

I'm Knitting....Stress Away!

I find machine knitting a way to relax and work off life stresses.  Moving needles and carriages back n forth seems to transport me into another place.

When "that mood" arises I usually rely on socks.  Socks only take about 40 minutes or so for me to make and I don't need to think about the next step or maneuver.  It's programmed into my brain so I can lose myself in the moment.  Knitting a pair seems to relieve my stress as the socks fly off the machine.  January found me making several pair of socks.

This hasn't always been the case knitting socks.  Years ago I made every mistake any of us could; it took me a week to make my first one from start to finish.  Each step and technique I conquered brought me closer and closer to a finished sock.

Here is one of the many stress relievers I've done recently:

Some new sock yarn (ready to relieve stress) and a great lavender yarn:


With some luck the remainder of this month will find me making less socks and a more intriguing project or two.

I promised to meet the owner of a new Yarn Store located in a design studio here in Las Vegas.  The owner is interested in having me teach machine knitting classes.  More on that as it develops.

Hope you are well and happy knitting...

8 comments:

  1. How funny, I've also been knitting a lot of socks!!! I'm sure winter has something to do with it.
    I knit the plain ones on the machine and I hand knit those in self stripping yarn by hand while watching the Olympics, just because I love to see the stripes appear and because I can't watch TV without knitting something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blonde, you are a great knitter and use beautiful designs & yarns!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Tom! Socks are one of my favorite anti-stress projects, too; I used to come home from work and just hand-crank one on the antique sock machine. That made me feel better, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have an easy pattern to follow? i cant get the hang of a ribber eithher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana. Depending on what you want and the sizes the best I can refer you to is Diana Sullivan's blog. On the left hand side select the sock DVD and book. This is a great starting point and if you need help just email! http://diananatters.blogspot.com/

      Delete