Sunday, December 23, 2012

Tom's Butter Horn Recipe

Nope, not about Machine Knitting today.  Thought it would be nice to post a recipe that goes back in my family more than 50 years.  I remember my mother getting together with her friends to bake these for a fundraising dessert.  As they baked, I played in the horse corral with another kid my age, hearing the ladies chatting with the sound of the rolling pin going back and forth.

They have been a Christmas tradition ever since.  Not having any family to pass my recipe on to you I thought I would share with my machine knitting family.  Hope my friend Katherine in Idaho makes them (and you too!).

P.S. So easy to make!  I usually double the recipe.

DOUGH
2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 lb. margarine (2 sticks) - make sure it is very cold
3/4 cup sour cream
1 egg yolk slightly beaten

FILLING

3/4 cup sugar
1 lb. chopped walnuts (substitute what you like)
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend flour and margarine in bowl with hands until well incorporated and crumbly (like making biscuits).  Add sour cream then egg yolk.  Mix well, dough will be wet and sticky.  Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.


Pre-heat oven to 375℉


Divide dough into 4 equal sections and roll out on a well floured surface with a well floured rolling pin to about a 12" circle (and slightly thinner than pie crust).  Cut circle into 8-12 triangles (depends how big you like them) and sprinkle generously with the filling.  Roll up like a crescent starting with wide end.  Place on an ungreased baking sheet and form a crescent shape with point on underside.  They can be close together on the sheet.


Bake approximately 20 minutes, until light golden brown.  Cool and eat.  These always taste better the next day.  Store in covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment