Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wax Or Yarn Spray?

I received a couple of emails and a comment about the difference of yarn spray vs. wax for machine knitting.  It really is a personal preference.

I don't like having the wax in my tension mast, they pop out, crack, chip and etc.  Also feel they can at times interfere with the tension.  When I do use wax it is a big cake that I run the yarn over when I am winding yarn into a center pull ball.  Obviously you can't do that with coned yarn, that's when I got hooked on spray.

Lori-Lyn Yarn Spray has been around for a while and it is a shame it is no longer available.  The Lori-Lyn Machine Lube is excellent.  I have used "Super Lube" which is a silicone spray and had success.

Whatever spray you decide on, a little goes a L O N G way.  Typically a light spray on the outside, top & bottom of a self wound yarn cake is all I use (just s spritz).  For coned yarn, I leave it in the bag, spray the the same way (sometimes 1/2 way through a cone another light spritz).  Yarn spray dries quickly and you are ready to go.

Another thing I like about yarn spray is the reduction of the yarn fibers and friction/drag that some yarns are known to produce.  Stitches knit smooth and even, I actually use less machine lube too!

A bottle of the (click here)> INDUSTRIAL SUPER YARN SPRAY sold by Distinctive Knits should be more than enough for many, many garments.

Try them both and see which YOU prefer.

3 comments:

  1. will any food grade silicone spray do? There are very few knitting machine resources in Australia where we can buy these things that are safe - we don't seem to have the same brands as in the states or UK either

    ReplyDelete